Monday, January 14, 2008

A "Secret" to Share with you all......

For those of you close to me or have interacted with me recently, you'd have known that from my recent blood test results done in Dec 2007, my blood glucose (BG) levels were mildly on the high side. (Due to certain pre-existing conditions, it's complicated)

As such, I have to go on medication, Metfomin, to control it. In addition, I also have to test my BG levels regularly, esp. when I wake, before meals & 2 hrs after meals, to ensure they are in control.



My new "Optium Exceed" glucometer (RP:$149) from Abbott (right) & Easy Touch Lancing Device (left) in a handy black carrying pouch.



To clean, kill & destroy those nasty germs.



Needles to insert into the lancing device to draw blood from my fingertips. (Around $18 for a box of 200)



MediSense Optium Blood Glucose Test Strips. (Not too sure about the price but think around $30+ for a box of 50 strips, if not more)

It is not a condition that means a death sentence. This means I just have to be disciplined with my diet & lifestyle to keep it under control.

This does not mean I have to starve myself & not eat at all. It just means I have to watch what I eat (esp. all the hidden dangers such as salt, sugar & starchy stuff) & eat in smaller & more regular portions, rather than stuff it all down in one seating.

So, if I decline a meal or treat outside or refuse dessert (which like never happens!), pls understand it's not coz I don't want to eat with you or don't like you. It's just that eating out exposes me to temptations. More than I can handle at times.

I exercise more now these days not coz I am "forced" to. But rather, I have started to actually like doing so & enjoy it! It can be quite addictive.

Of coz, this does not mean I do not enjoy life anymore. It just means I have to be more well-balanced, in all that I do. (Actually, this applies to all aspects of our life)

I do falter & fall at times. But I am thankful for the chances that my great & gracious God gives to me when I fail.

My Abba Father knows my heart & desires.

I was telling Him that all these stuff are going to cost me quite abit in the long run. Not that I can't afford it but still, it'd be a burden on my finances. Purse strings have to be tightened & shopping sprees have to be limited. I wasn't really complaining to Him, I was just pouring my heart out to Him. Ranting actually...

My aunt, who's a nurse at a restructured hospital, said she'll get all the stuff for me directly from the supplier. Indeed, it is much cheaper. Instead of $149 for the glucometer, lancing device & 50 strips, she got it all for $110 & an extra 50 strips! I was thankful for whatever savings I could get.

I was ready to transfer the money over to her bank a/c. But guess what she said? It's all FREE. She has decided to bless me this "1st round" of items plus a box of 200 lancets! Wow!I could hardly believe what I heard. This is really God's providence towards me! *blown away*

So now that you know my "secret", for my birthday, CNY or Christmas in 2008 & in the many years to come, you are highly encouraged to get me any of the above-mentioned items for me (esp. the thin lancets & blood glucose strips!)

No comments: